Another Martin C-Mel with front-F…

I’d begun to think that, apart from the odd Typewriter C, and the later Melody Master stencils, I was the proud owner of the only Martin C-Melody sax (click here to see mine 🙂 ) I’ve ever seen fitted with a front-F key as standard. 

The one that just sold on ebay (click here) isn’t quite as ‘new’ as mine, 1927 vs. 1931, it still has the RH-G# trill and the forked-Eb, but it’s still a very fine looking horn.  I was sorely tempted, but a new central heating boiler cometh, and the humble UK pound now only buys 1.5 US dollars – unlike a short while back, when it was just over two dollars to a pound. Our Pound-to-Euro rate is quite low as well, is there something that Gordon isn’t telling us ?

And it sold, as a ‘player ‘ (to quote the seller – "….having been serviced our own tech, who described it as the best C melody he’d EVER  played"), for only $450 (BIN) to a UK buyer named  steamplough.  So I’m very happy it’s coming to this side of the pond.

Picture courtesy of ebay seller speno1 – thanks !

This entry was posted in C Saxophones. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Another Martin C-Mel with front-F…

  1. lewis Pelham says:

    Very pretty too.
    Alan…currently, you have the last known example & it is probably your favourite horn.
    In reality you cannot own them all.
    As Spike Millington famously said “…a man cannot have everything; he would have nowhere to keep it all”

  2. Mal-2 says:


    Could I bother you for a picture of the left hand of your beloved Martin? I want to see what a factory-standard Front F looked like in that era.

  3. Alan says:

    Yes Mal, no problem, I’ll do it in the daylight tomorrow  😀

  4. Alan says:

    Mal – here are three pictures of the front-f mech – different angles, help yourself – they’re reasonable resolution, so you can usefully zoom in.

    I think the old gal could do with a clean… 🙂

  5. Mal-2 says:

    That mechanism looks completely modern. I guess this is something the manufacturers got right in the first place, so nobody has needed to fix it since then (with a few exceptions like my Dolnet bari, which has a mechanism that strongly resembles the one I attached to the C-mel – and yes it’s clunky). Thanks for the pictures. What I learned from them is that this is something best engineered in from the start.

    Oh well, I didn’t want to hack anything on the axle if it wasn’t absolutely necessary, and it wasn’t. It’s not half as clunky as the factory standard front F on the bari.

Please feel free to Comment ( your very first comment will be moderated...)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s